2021 has been a wild ride for all of us and I would say music has definitely been an amazing way of coping, for all of us, throughout the year. So let’s get into the music the helped us the most this year.
There are PLENTY of songs that have helped all of us throughout the year, but I’ve gone through and found the top 10 that seemed to help us ALL the most.
1. “drivers license” by Olivia Rodrigo —— Taking the world…and TikTok by storm very early in the year, Olivia’s hit-ballad “drivers license” takes this number one spot for many reasons. Not only is this song gorgeous and very comforting, but this song was also a major hit. The success it received was nothing but deserved.
2. “Way 2 Sexy” by Drake, Future, & Young Thug —— This Drake song surprise-released back in September, took TikTok with a storm, immediately getting it’s on dance trend and so much more. The song duetted so many times that it earned itself a number one the week after. The success and popularity of the song was astonishing, not a single person hadn’t heard the song.
3. “Save Your Tears (Remix)” by The Weeknd & Ariana Grande —— The role this song played in everybody’s year was huge. “Save Your Tears” from The Weeknd’s album After Hours was an amazing R&B/Pop 80’s sounding ballad with a beautiful beat and synth. The song, which is already amazing, has a remix featuring the talented vocalist, Ariana Grande. Her vocals and harmonies with Abel are absolutely breathtaking. The song gained success immediately after its release, all of which it deserved.
4. “Kiss Me More” by Doja Cat & SZA —— Kiss Me More from Doja Cat’s hit album “Planet Her,” dropped early in the year and gained major success immediately. The hit social media platform, TikTok picked up on the song, giving it a dance trend and more. The song was a hit, playing in everybody’s ears. SZA’s feature on the song was definitely my favorite part of it. The song’s traction on radio and streaming platforms made it super successful and heard by everybody and it deserves every bit of success it got.
5. “INDUSTRY BABY” by Lil Nas X & Jack Harlow —— The collaboration between Lil Nas X & Jack Harlow, gained traction immediately following its release in August. TikTok picked this song up just as much as the rest of the previous songs and all the songs on this list. The Hip-Hop/Pop hit had not gone unheard by a single person by the release of Lil Nas’ album “MONTERO” where the song was featured.
6. “Heat Waves” by Glass Animals —— TikTok took its play on this song, making it a Lo-Fi/Pop hit in just weeks. Took its place on this list because of how much the world loved this song. It was an instant, pure made hit.
7. “STAY” by The Kid LAROI & Justin Bieber —— STAY, a collaboration between The Kid LAROI & Justin Bieber, produced by Charlie Puth and more, was released early summer and gained traction pretty quick, radio stations playing it the day of its release. Young, pop/rock artist The Kid LAROI’s verses and cache chorus made the song an instant hit.
8. “What You Know Bout Love” by Pop Smoke —— The cache chorus gained traction on TikTok following its release. The song gained radio play and was instantly a year beginning hit.
9. “good 4 u” by Olivia Rodrigo —— good 4 u, released mid-May, gained traction immediately after its release, similar to her other hit songs. Olivia proves yet again, she can make a really good hit song and just…song in general. The angsty teen-pop/punk song, gained every bit of success it deserved after being in the top 10 for 5-6 months.
10. “abcdefu” by GAYLE —— This brilliant song from a small artist gained traction late in the year as TikTok slowly picked up on the future-hit song. From a low-class, angsty-pop song to a hit in just weeks.
Here are 5 albums that I think took the world by storm this year.
Our best album of 2021, not only in my opinion but everybody’s. SOUR was released in May, but the singles “drivers license,” “deja vu,” and “good 4 u,” took the world by storm all throughout the year. Everybody heard and loved these songs and should understand why this album is taking the number one spot.
1. “SOUR” by Olivia Rodrigo
2. “30” by Adele
3. “MONTERO” by Lil Nas X
4. “Red (Taylor’s Version)” by Taylor Swift
5. “Happier Than Ever” by Billie Eilish
These five artist made major marks throughout the year.
Olivia Rodrigo, again, takes the number one spot. This spot is really just reserved for Olivia, glowing since January. Olivia claimed her role as one of the biggest artists in 2021 and made sure EVERYBODY knew it.
1. Olivia Rodrigo
2. The Weeknd
3. Lil Nas X
4. Taylor Swift
5. Ariana Grande
These are three brand-new artists that made a major mark this year.
Again, reserved for Olivia. Claiming her spot in the big times, this pop artist showed she deserved her spot with the big times.
1. Olivia Rodrigo
2. Phoebe Bridgers
3. Doja Cat